Pretty routine day. I had an “easy” 16 mile hike into Tehachapi, but that didn’t stop me from getting up at first light and hitting the trail by 0600.
The first eight miles was mostly up, but I don’t mind climbing in the morning when I’m fresh and it’s nice and cool, and I got to see what I hiked across yesterday.
Around eleven I was hungry, but not interested in any of my trail food. I figured I could be to the road by two if I pushed it, and it was cruiser trail, so I pushed it. I think this is the first time I’ve done that, but I figured I have a double or possibly triple zero coming up, so I can afford to hurt myself a little bit.
And I certainly did that. Both yesterday and today I’ve been feeling new aches and pains (like now my arms and elbows want to hurt), so I am definitely ready for some rest. And to get clean! I don’t mind being dirty too much, but nine days is pushing it. Must Get To Town!
On the other side of the ridge was an even huger wind farm than yesterday. Hundreds of them as far as the eye can see. Wow.
Toward the end I got cheered on by my German Friend from Idyllwild! He had an injury and travel deadlines and was hiking SOBO. Good to see him again.
I actually got to the road about 1330, and I called a couple of Trail Angels on the list provided to see if I could get a ride to town (9 miles?) but had no luck, so I decided to hitch. I hate hitching, especially into town because my feet hurt and I can hardly stand there, but despite the sparse traffic a nice retired couple picked me up within about 15 minutes.
It was a great ride too! Not only did they take me to the Best Western where I had a reservation, but they took me to the post office first so I could get my bounce bucket and new shoes. The post office is over a mile outside of town, so this was really huge. I don’t know how I’m going to get back there to bounce the bucket (or mail it home, was more my thought), but that’s a problem for another day.
For now, I have an awesome room, I’m about to get cleaned up and go find the hot tub, and I’m stoked to be staying here for the next few days. The forecast for Friday is some kind of freezing precipitation event, so that sounds like a good day to not hit the trail. The word is there’s been lots of snow in the Sierra lately, and probably more coming, so all of a sudden I’m not in as big a hurry to get there right away. If I need to wait out some weather, this is a good place to do it! I think my Humboldt friends are here too. I told them this morning on the trail, “See you in the hot tub in eight hours!” That doesn’t leave me much time.